Tuesday, January 17, 2012

#onceuponadream


pre race "girls gone wild" shot
Recently I traveled to the magical place that is Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.  I love all things Disney, but the past two times I've visited there have been for a very different reason.  About a year and a half ago, my friend and roommate Becky thought that it would be fun to start training for and running races as a way of getting in shape.  Her way of motivating me was creating a fantastical end goal of running a half marathon right through the theme parks at Disney World - and it worked.  This was our second year attending Disney World's Marathon Weekend and we had a ball!








the action shot
 

I had my Becky cheering me on at 3 different points along the course in her hot pink feather boa (which I wore the next day for her MARATHON) but it just an amazing feeling to have so many people around you cheering and trying to accomplish the same goal.  The best part was I knew that after it was done, I had two full days left to enjoy myself in one of my favorite places on Earth. I was tired from the 2:30 am wake up and the 5:30 race start time, but it was all worth it.








the "I finished!" shot


I think because of my experience with last year's race I was better prepared for this one, but I went in with only one goal - beat last year's time. And, I did! I'm not sure why or how, but I felt really good the entire time I was running and only stopped to walk once for water.

Look at this medal!  How could it not be.


Race Times:

2011: 3:07:49
2012: 2:40:53






my favorite ride





Becky and I on Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel

Now for the FUN part of Disney.  We got to ride a good majority of the rides at Magic Kingdom on Saturday and I even got to retake a family favorite photo for my mother.  I tried looking for the same horse that it was originally taken on, but it was not to be found.





We then spent our Sunday recovering from Becky's super speedy marathon time by drinking around the world at Epcot!








Drinking Butterbeer in front of Hogwarts Castl
On Monday, we made a special trip to Universal Studios, where I got my fill of crazy roller coasters that have me scared and screaming to no end. But, most importantly was the Harry Potter world.  We got the full experience, waited the 70 minutes to ride the ride, which was surprisingly awesome, and drank butterbeer while walking through Hogsmeade.  I bought a Chocolate Frog complete with Wizard Trading Card and begged Mom Becky for an overpriced wand experience.  It was probably for the best that she wasn't thrilled about waiting on the line though as it would have most likely set me back like $1000.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip filled with goal reaching and fun with friends.  Needless to say I'm proud of my accomplishments and I'm looking forward to next year.

1 comment:

  1. I think some of these pictures should be your new Facebook profile shot. Obvious choices: the carousel or the girls gone wild pre-race shot.

    Either one really. It's a toss up!

    ReplyDelete